Code of Conduct
SIMB’s mission is to empower its members and others to address current and future challenges facing humanity using industrial microbiology and biotechnology. To aid in doing so, the Society’s Board of Directors (BOD) has approved a Code of Conduct (COC) containing a policy of ethical behavior appropriate for members and non-members who participate in SIMB-sponsored meetings and events.
The COC applies to all SIMB members as well as attendees of SIMB meetings or events, regardless if members or not. Agreement with the COC will be verified when obtaining or renewing membership in SIMB or by registering for meetings and events. Volunteers are also covered by this COC.
Expected behaviors at SIMB-sponsored meetings and/or events by members and non-members alike are:
- Strive to increase the competence and prestige of the profession and practice of the applied microbial sciences and engineering through responsible action and sharing of research results
- Treat all people with dignity, respect and consideration
- Refrain from any form of harassment, discrimination or bullying at SIMB-sponsored events
- Promote honest and ethical conduct, including fair dealing and the disclosure and ethical handling of any actual, potential or perceived conflicts of interest
- Promote compliance with applicable laws, governmental rules and regulations
- Follow any instructions concerning behavior during presentations, including restrictions on photographing and/or filming presentations
- Address any behaviors or issues counter to these expectations immediately but in a professional manner with courtesy and respect